Caring for your DuoBootsAre my DuoBoots waterproof?
Leather, our most widely used material, is a durable, breathable material to make wearing your boots all day long as comfortable as possible. Whilst leather resists water very well, it’s not completely waterproof.
But, there are a few tips you can follow to help keep your leather DuoBoots footwear in tip-top condition.
- Polish your boots regularly with a wax polish, and treat with one of our protector sprays.
- Suede and nubuck should be sprayed with a good quality protective spray before you wear them for the first time, and again at regular intervals after this.
- If you get caught out in the rain, then make sure your boots aren’t dried in direct heat or left in a hot environment as this can cause heat damage.
- Stuff your boots with newspaper to absorb water and leave them to dry at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Once dry, polish and spray your boots again to protect the leather.
We recommend taking extra care of your boots if you wear them in snow as leather can be damaged by salt which may have been spread. To prevent this from happening, please make sure you regularly polish your footwear and use protector spray. If you do get caught out in the snow, the best thing to do is to try and remove any stains as soon as they appear. Using a damp soft cloth and then, once the boots are dry, polish them thoroughly and re-apply protector spray.
The best storage solution for your boots is to be standing upright in a dry area with boot trees that you can purchase from us here. Alternatively, footwear should be stored in soft cloth or tissue paper.
Please don't store them in plastic bags as this cause the leather to 'sweat'. All DuoBoots boots are supplied with foam inners, these can be used during storage to help to maintain their shape.
And finally, make sure your boots are never folded as this could cause the leather to crease and may exert pressure to the zips, which might then weaken over time and lead to the need to replace them.
The best way to ensure your DuoBoots products last long and stay in their best condition is to use the right shoe care products.
Each type of leather and fabric requires special care, but before trying any shoe care products, always test them on a small area on your footwear beforehand.
- Leather (including textured leather, coated leather, natural dyed leather) – To keep your leather DuoBoots boots or ankle boots looking their best, polish them regularly. Not only will this keep them looking new but it will also protect them against water and scuffing. If you cannot find an accurate colour polish match for coloured leather, use a clear polish or wax for protection.
- Suede (including stretch suede) – To keep your suede DuoBoots looking their best, please use a protector spray before your first wear and at regular intervals afterwards. Use a suede brush to remove marks.
- Nubuck (including waxed nubuck) – Please use protector spray before first wearing and at regular intervals. You can use special nubuck shampoos and cleaners to remove dirt or stains.
- Fabric – To keep your fabric DuoBoots looking their best please use a fabric protector spray before your first wear and again at regular intervals. Use a soft dry sponge to remove any marks in gentle circular movements to avoid destroying the pile. When using a fabric protector spray, follow instructions and test on a small, less noticeable area in case colours run. Do not get fabric footwear wet.
- Animal hair leather – To keep your animal hair leather boots looking their best, remove marks with a soft, slightly damp cloth. Avoid rubbing the hair with a brush. This leather may lose its texture in areas where strong or continual rubbing occurs, we recommend that you avoid repeated contact with other surfaces, for example when driving the back of the boot rubs on the floor.
- Patent & Polido leathers (including High shine) - To keep your patent & polido leather Duo boots looking their best, remove marks with a damp cloth, then polish them with a patent lotion to ensure long-lasting colour intensity and a glossy shine. The leather top surface will then remain soft and supple reducing the potential of cracking.
- Certain styles have a stacked leather veneer around the heels. To keep these in their best condition, apply a clear wax polish on a regular basis. This will prevent the trim from becoming brittle over time and the potential of it peeling off.
- Some DuoBoots styles are hand crafted in antiqued leather, which is designed to look aged and worn. Dark or light marks can usually be removed by gently rubbing the leather.
- Generally, scratches are quite common for this particular leather finish, but you can prevent scratches if you polish your leather boots regularly.
- Shoes horns – Using a shoe horn when putting your boots on helps keep the heel guard from becoming damaged.
- Zipping up boots – Occasionally it is possible to trap the zip in the zip guard (the leather flap behind the zip). To prevent this, run your finger along the zip guard to make it flat each time you put your boots on.
Aside from using the recommending shoe care products, you can help maintain the condition of your DuoBoots by following the below steps... We recommend following our care advice to ensure your DuoBoots look their best for longer:
- Keep an eye on your DuoBoots and where necessary have them maintained by a cobbler (replace heel tips and soles before they wear completely)
- Natural leathers need time to breathe, so alternating what you wear and giving your boots a day’s rest helps keep them at their best. We recommend that you always store boots with boot trees to protect the zips and allow the leather to breathe.
- Soles, insoles, heel tips and toe tips will require maintenance throughout the life of your DuoBoots. If you notice that they start to wear, replacing these components will ensure that your footwear lasts longer and remains in a better condition.
Please note that certain styles have hardwearing rubber soles and may not be possible to resole. These styles are highlighted in the product details and descriptions online. If you are unsure and wish to resole your footwear, please give us a call on 0330 100 3455, email us here, or speak to us in-store.
With love and care, you should enjoy great long service from your DuoBoots. Products damaged as a result of wear and tear are not considered to be faulty; please refer to our product care and repairs information.
An item is deemed faulty if it has been received by you in an imperfect condition or if a manufacturing fault occurs within a period of 12 months after receipt. All worn items that are returned as faulty are assessed and inspected by our quality control team to deem whether the item is faulty or whether it is considered to be fair wear and tear. If the product is deemed faulty within 12 months of purchase, we will offer a replacement or exchange (subject to availability).
Products should be returned for assessment in their original packaging or in a suitable alternative (sturdy and weatherproof).
Please include a copy of your despatch note receipt or proof of purchase, and outline details of what you consider to be the fault as specifically as possible.
Our returns address is:
Unit 12 Vallis Mills Trading Estate,
For more information, please give us a call on 0330 100 3455 or email us here.